Essential oils are often associated with aromatherapy devices and high-end day spas affluent tai-tais who you’ll find on Crazy Rich Asians would visit. But did you know that even some relatively cheap essential oils might have legitimate anxiety and stress-relieving properties? Today, we’ll explore some essential oils that can help you to ease those tense muscles of yours! We’ll look at essential oils that can help to ease anxiety. But first, let us look at what and how you can use essential oils?
What are essential oils?
According to Healthline, essential oils are compounds extracted from plants. The oils capture the plant’s scent and flavor, or “essence.” Unique aromatic compounds give each essential oil its characteristic essence. Essential oils are obtained through distillation (via steam and/or water) or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing.
Essential oils have mind-body benefits that can be used by inhalation or topical use. The oils can be used with a room spray or in a diffuser. Just a few drops on a necklace or a charm worn close to the skin can make for a great escape and relief too!
Essential oils can also be mixed and added into a carrier oil and used topically as a perfume, massage oil, cream, or salves. Finally, applying an essential oil to your bath is a great way to unwind at the end of a long day!
The essential oils below have been shown to reduce anxiety:
- Lavender: It has been proven to restore the nervous system by lowering blood pressure and heart rate. It can help to calm the nerves, appease restlessness and improve sleep quality.
- Ylang Ylang: It simultaneously reduces heart rate, improves your mood and promotes relaxation. Inhaling Ylang Ylang can help release negative emotions, reducing stress and acting as a natural anxiety and depression remedy.
- Bergamot: Often used in traditional Chinese medicine to enhance the flow of energy, fight bacterial infections and support digestive health
- Rose: renowned for soothing emotions, headaches, and balancing hormones. Rose is known for strengthening the heart in periods of high stress, grief, and depression.
- Basil: Basil essential oil has a calming effect on the nervous system, reducing anxiety, fatigue, mental strain and depression
In our fast-paced lives, stress and anxiety have become common problems. This has resulted in an increase in stress-related health problems, and has harmed both our emotional and physical health. Lack of sleep, increased lifestyle obligations, and job demands may all contribute to stress and anxiety.
Combined with practicing mindfulness, essential oils can effectively help to release negative emotions, calm the mind and reduce stress.